Thursday, April 25, 2013

Part 2: Nepal




Crazy traffic, evident poverty, deathly showers, and an unknown language greeted us oh so warmly as we entered our second stage of CPx in Nepal. The flights had gone smoothly as we flew from Cape Town to Dubai, then to Khatmandu. Everything seemed all right until I remembered a small detail; we have no clue where we are staying or what we are going to do upon arrival. However, that was not something I needed to know, because God had it all worked out. It was crazy in how a period of five days destination changed, connections were made and people we had never met before opened their arms wide open and welcomed us in whole heartedly.  When we arrived at the airport we filled out the visa application and immigration papers and in a matter of twenty minutes were stamped through with all of the visas and no dilemmas. We grabbed our bags and headed outside. It was the first time culture shock had felt like a slap in the face. The lighting was minimal and outside the airport people filled the parking lot haggling taxi deals. I was so happy in that moment that God had given us a local connection. The locals (again leaving out names on purpose) were at the airport the moment we arrived, had a taxi ready for us and took us to a guesthouse they provided for us. It was such a blessing to our group. As we drove through Khatmandu, again culture shock hit and for me it was quite hard. I think it also had to do with the fact that I was exhausted from our long trip.  Anyhow, I can’t even begin to describe the effect it had on me. I was utterly speechless and my leader kept asking me if I was okay. The new people, culture, smells, and lifestyles just consumed my thoughts as I took everything in. In addition to the newness the taxi driver’s driving nearly made me pass out, I have never been more thankful for speed limits and policemen. Thankfully though we made it and began to settle in the guesthouse. The next morning we slept in to catch up from lost sleep and then headed down to meet a local pastor here. It was so encouraging to talk with him and his wife and to hear their personal testimonies in how God led them to Nepal. We then had our first meal in Khatmandu in a little restaurant down the street from our home. It was delicious, true Nepalese food. Funny thing is over the past couple of days we have gotten to know the owners, because we have eaten there for lunch and dinner everyday. Pretty sure I have tried everything on the menu. Over the past days we have gone into Thamel (sounds like Tamel), one of the main shopping areas, visited a Women At Risk Ministry, and walked throughout the city. In Thamel, we experienced the taxi system (get as many people as you can in, then add a few more), shopped in the square and saw different temples. At the Women’s Ministry, the director led us through the home where they take people in and teach them English, computer, sewing, and candle making. Other than that we have been just walking around and familiarizing ourselves with the city.

The Team 
 After the initial culture shock the first night, Nepal has grown on me like crazy. The views are spectacular, what they call their hills here can be compared to the Rockies in Colorado. When I first saw the “hills” surrounding Khatmandu I was like slightly disappointed because I was expecting these huge mountains. The Nepalese quickly corrected me as they pointed out the Himalayas, my jaw dropped. The mountains are massive. I feel like I could go on for hours about the beauty here, but I won’t all I can say is that it is beautiful. Furthermore, the people here are amazing. Those of you who know me know I have a ton of state pride, especially when it comes to the fact that Texas is known as being the friendly state; yeah Nepal puts Texas to shame when it comes to friendliness. The people here are so welcoming. They do not hesitate to invite you in for a cup or tea, even if they have never met you. The owners of the restaurant, the small grocer down the street, the pastor who provided a home for us, and the guys who have showed us around are excellent examples. In addition, the people are beautiful! The clothes are vibrant and colorful and just talking to these people is an adventure in itself.  Culturally, the majority of the population is Hindu, so the temples, incense, and gods are found on nearly every street and yes we have seen the cows walking down the street. It is a vibrant culture and an exciting one to learn about. The biggest challenges we are facing now are the language barriers. It is very difficult to carry on conversations. Thankfully we have had translators. However, you should see the hand motions that come out when your trying to describe that we left a wallet behind. Anyway please keep my team in your prayers, the culture is new and adjusting has been difficult, but the more we adapt the more exciting it becomes!  

Oh and if you were wondering about the deathly showers, basically the first night we arrived the Pastor told us, make sure you open the window when you shower, because if you don’t the gas from the water heater could kill you and someone had died from it before. Let me tell you, any and all windows we could find in the house and in the shower are left wide open anytime any of us decide to shower.  It is only like this because the bathrooms here are called wet rooms. You find the shower, toilet, and sink all in this little room and the gas heater is in the room as well. So we are taking all precautions to ensure that those windows are open. 

2 comments:

  1. Keep your eyes on Jesus as you proceed in this new place. Praise Him when you feel tired or discouraged. He inhabits the praises of His people.
    Love You!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so awesome hearing how God has been and is continuing to provide for and take care of you and your team!! Praying for you always! love you lots!
    P.s. Please don't die in the shower. :/

    ReplyDelete